List of TAC cases?

amps & preamps, receivers, filters, Quad, systems...

List of TAC cases?

Postby doomlord_uk » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Does anyone have, or could anyone put together, a definitive list of Sony TAC cases? I come across references to them occasionally but the only model numbers I recognise are TAC-1, TAC-1B, TAC-1N, TAC-5 and the fabled TAC-90/91s... Axel has a couple of components in TAC-70 cases(?)... So I'm wondering what other TAC cases are out there, and what is known of their availability?

Also, were they ever sold with their electronics, or only as accessories, in which case have they ever been seen in their own packaging, with manuals etc? Audioscope has original manuals for the TAC-90 and 91... so I assume these might exist for others too?

I realise this is getting into the realm of esoterica, but it interests me at least :)
doomlord_uk

Re: List of TAC cases?

Postby Axel » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:53 am

Sony never had a clear product planning for them TACs ; they always were optional and sold separately, in their own (very neat) packaging.
Same for the sideburns that were planned (and sometimes delivered) with the ESII and direct followers between 1974 and 1978.

All of them are very rare, even in Japan : it took me nearly ten years to spot three TAC-70 in toto (and manage to grab two of them :) and I've only seen once a new-in-box TAC (-1 ? -5 ?) for sale there.

After the TAC-70 (september/october 1979), Sony only planned one more set for the ESPRIT but those are Invisibilia and whatever small stocks were made were shipped to the Sony ESPRIT division in the US c. mid 1980s ; probably given away or junked when that division was closed.

I don't think the complete list would be that bigger than the one you... listed.
Axel
Founders

Postby doomlord_uk » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:01 am

Huh... ok thanks :) Well, I guess it's a case of just keeping my eyes peeled then. I'm surprised though, I'd formed the impression pretty much every component had a TAC option...

Back to hifishark...
doomlord_uk

Postby Axel » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:01 am

Comes to mind all of a sudden the TAC-101 for the CDP-101 + IR remote and the TAC-2250 for the german version of the TTS /PSE /PS-2500 (just as the USA versions, the JP originals probably had names of their own - don't ask).
Axel
Founders

Return to Sony components