Yamaha T-2 FM tuner in silver - how many were made?

Re: Yamaha T-2 FM tuner in silver - how many were made?

Postby Axel » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 pm

The T-1 was originally silver, just like the A-1 ; the black versions were export only.

The french/german T-2 : Yamaha UK probably had some left and Yamaha DE needed some at the end of the trail - supply and demand :)
Axel
Founders

Postby lukas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:20 pm

I also had a drift problem with my black T-2 and it took me quite a while to figure out where it originated from. Drift is a common problem with old analog tuners and usually corroded or dirty contacts between the rotor and the stator of the variable capacitor are to blame for this missbehaviour. I did a thorough cleaning of the big 7-gamg variable capacitor but the problem remaind unresolved. So I defered the fixing of the unit for a later time.
Meanwhile I bought a silver example of this fine tuner from Germany. This example was obviously a privat import from Britain, I guess that because the power cord was cut and spliced with a "schuko" type of plug. Anyway, this unit really worked great, very sensitive and no hints of a drift. So my old black version remained unused for a view years. After moving to a bigger appartment, I dug out the old black T-2 and wanted to solve the drift problem again. I found out that the oscillator in the front end is adjusted by a small variable capacitor which is mechanically similar to the big one and can also suffer from dirt and corrosion. So I took out the entire front end to get to this variable capacitor and cleaned it. It seemd to me in the beginning that the drift was gone by this treatment but after a view days the tuner and I suffered again from the drift problem. The frequency drifted within hours for more than 300kHz, which is definitly too much. I then again took out to the front end and changed two or three electrolytic caps, which did not help either. Otherwise there are not so much parts in the front end which are known to suffer from aging: a few transistors, mainly FETs and a lot of ceramic capacitors, which should last for ever. Wiggling around on the front end showed that there are some parts which are very sensitiv to mechanic disturbances when it comes to the frequency of the oscillator signal, so I suspected the front end to have som cold solder points and resoldering of the front end PCB indeed finaly solved the drift problem. Since then a few months have gone by and the drift problem appears to be solved at last. The front end, btw, does not seem to be manufactured by Yamaha but there are no hints to the actual manufacturer visible on this part. It has a different PCB design compared to the rest of the device and it is only poorly covered by the service manual. So it is difficult to work it over when there is a real problem with the front end.

Lukas
lukas
Knobber

Postby Axel » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:46 pm

ALPS (Alpine) also produced varicaps which were used by plenty, if not everybody...
Axel
Founders

Postby Nick_G » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 pm

lukas wrote:I also had a drift problem with my black T-2 and it took me quite a while to figure out where it originated from. Drift is a common problem with old analog tuners and usually corroded or dirty contacts between the rotor and the stator of the variable capacitor are to blame for this missbehaviour. I did a thorough cleaning of the big 7-gamg variable capacitor but the problem remaind unresolved. So I defered the fixing of the unit for a later time.
Meanwhile I bought a silver example of this fine tuner from Germany. This example was obviously a privat import from Britain, I guess that because the power cord was cut and spliced with a "schuko" type of plug. Anyway, this unit really worked great, very sensitive and no hints of a drift. So my old black version remained unused for a view years. After moving to a bigger appartment, I dug out the old black T-2 and wanted to solve the drift problem again. I found out that the oscillator in the front end is adjusted by a small variable capacitor which is mechanically similar to the big one and can also suffer from dirt and corrosion. So I took out the entire front end to get to this variable capacitor and cleaned it. It seemd to me in the beginning that the drift was gone by this treatment but after a view days the tuner and I suffered again from the drift problem. The frequency drifted within hours for more than 300kHz, which is definitly too much. I then again took out to the front end and changed two or three electrolytic caps, which did not help either. Otherwise there are not so much parts in the front end which are known to suffer from aging: a few transistors, mainly FETs and a lot of ceramic capacitors, which should last for ever. Wiggling around on the front end showed that there are some parts which are very sensitiv to mechanic disturbances when it comes to the frequency of the oscillator signal, so I suspected the front end to have som cold solder points and resoldering of the front end PCB indeed finaly solved the drift problem. Since then a few months have gone by and the drift problem appears to be solved at last. The front end, btw, does not seem to be manufactured by Yamaha but there are no hints to the actual manufacturer visible on this part. It has a different PCB design compared to the rest of the device and it is only poorly covered by the service manual. So it is difficult to work it over when there is a real problem with the front end.

Lukas

Interesting Lukas. Was your silver T-2 the same one I linked to a few posts ago? It was bought in Germany and taken to France.

Luckily my example has none of these drift problems which seem to crop up with this tuner. I suspect that if the reviewer on the Tuner Information Shootout had got a good example of the T-2 he would have placed it much higher up the list and consequently they would now be selling for 500 Euros or more. As a result they are usually affordable!

Regards,
Nick
Nick_G

Postby lukas » Fri May 31, 2013 10:09 am

Hi Nick,

late reply, however, no, my sample is still around with me and the serial number is different, so it looks the same but is not the same piece.
All the best
Lukas
lukas
Knobber

Previous

Return to Analogue sources