Pioneer series 1

Amplifiers, receivers, pre & power-amps, filters...

Pioneer series 1

Postby JwFabrie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:22 am

Hello fellows,
Ever since I was able to get a Pioneer P-D1, which is about 4 years ago, I am intrigued by the looks of the series 1 components.. More recently I decided it would be fun to go and chase after some of the components in this serie.
The components are:
P-D1 cd player
PL-L1 record player
CT-A1 cassette player
H-Z1 MC head amp
C-Z1 preamp
M-Z1 mon poweramp
S-F1 speakers (custom)

So, after some extensive searching, I finally came up with most of the components.. I still need to find the C-Z1, as well as the S-F1 speakers (which will be next to impossible) and than I am complete! What I need as well is a HUGE!! stepdowntransformer for the monoblocks.. I have a good one, but it certainly hasn't got enough guts to run both these amps for an extensive period.. the stepdown got so hot that I could fry and egg on top..

Here's some pictures:

I personally like the looks of this components, very clean and a bit of starwars.. I really hope to complete the series one day.
About their sound; altough I was not able yet to listen to it extensively(since I need a bigger stepdown) the M-Z1 monoblocks sound really, really well.. The CT-A1 plays very fine, and is one of the most clear sounding decks I have ever heard.. I am sure however that it could benefit from a electronical revision. I already did the mechanical part. The P-D1 sounds very nice, it's got that old fashioned cd-player sound, which I really like in some way.. a bit analogic almost. I use the H-Z1 in combination with the (pioneer) PC-70mc cartridge, and the combination gives sweet results so far; still I need more judging since I havent listened very extensive. the PL-L1 still has a speed problem which I need to deal with; when powering on it turns to slow, and than after 5 minutes or so, it starts turning waaaay to fast.. Luckily I have the servicemanual..

Cheers,
Willem
JwFabrie
Knobber

Re: Pioneer series 1

Postby Axel » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:33 am

ha !
ho !
hu !
oh !
Now
I am
JEALOUS !

The C-Z1 and M-Z1 saw revised versions with a "a" added which sold extremely well in Japan - true bestsellers.
I don't know the exact differences but was told they were of the very minor kind...

Of all this I only have a P-D1 which has more than speed problems :)

Good luck with the S-F1 !
Axel
Founders

Postby Stoffie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:20 am

Yet another impressive part of your collection, damn...beautiful stuff :)
Stoffie
Knobber

Postby JwFabrie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Well, my mission is now almost accomplished..

Yet, I still hope to find a pair of S-F1's one day..

the C-Z1 still needs a major cleanup; the volumepot is extremely scratchy!
JwFabrie
Knobber

Return to Pioneer components