Sony PS-X800 - finally got her back after 2 years

turntables, tonearms, tuners, open-reel & K7 recorders...

Sony PS-X800 - finally got her back after 2 years

Postby Stoffie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:17 pm

Today was a glorious day.

Went to pick up my freshly (well a year ago or so) overhauled PS-X800 turntable. Done by an awesome electronics expert with a soft spot for Sony (well the good stuff anyway). Hadn't been able to pick up for a number of reasons (mainly it being 205km away from home), but today I decided to finally make it happen and so now I have my precious table back at home. Perfectly set-up (for as much as you can yourself) with the Denon DL-304 cart dialed in nicely.

I had forgotten what a joy these are to use. To see all the automatic stuff working to meticulously, it's just beautiful.

Finally have my main set almost as good as new now. PS-X800, TA-E88B, TA-N7B all overhauled, and a newish modded SCD-555ES (I do plan on re-introducing the CDP-X777ES as soon as it's had its once-over).

Slipping Kraftwerk - The Robobs onto the table, hitting play, sitting back and hear the music unfold in front of you. Then Donald Fagen - The Nightfly, then Bladerunner theme, Alan Parsons Project.

Somehow I think I'll be listening to a lot more music again in the time to come. PS-X75 needed care again, so wasn't so inclined to mess with it much lately. Also a huge lack of time playing its part.

Stoffie
Knobber

Re: Sony PS-X800 - finally got her back after 2 years

Postby postman2975 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi, stoffie,
This is nice turntable but sound will be better with phono clamp. Pro-ject has a good tiny acrillic and transparent clamp which is perfect match for your turntable. Cheap and not so weight (approx a half kilos - enough for direct drive turntable).
I believe the sound will be better (clear bass and lower middtones)
In my case sound is much better (Thorens TD 320 MkIII +TP 90 + Grado Reference Platinum + Thorens Stabiliser (clamp)
This is a small tweak, just try and you won"t be disappointed
postman2975

Postby Stoffie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:12 pm

I have an acrylic phono clamp, but I can't be bothered to use it. Sounds more than good enough for me and didn't seem to make all that much of a difference to my ears, but thanks for the tip!
Stoffie
Knobber

Postby Dalplex » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:39 pm

have a little brother of it, x 600.

i can feel the base is better than my other budget table.

one problem is the TACT switch made by ALPS under the buttons getting into their final days.

they are very low profile, which is only 2.5 mm high. the thinnest one that i can find from ALPS current line is 4.3 mm.
Dalplex

Postby costellom5 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:54 pm

What twicks did he make?
Foobar
Dacmagic Plus
Sony TA-E80ES
Sony TA-N80ES
Yamaha NS-1000Monitor
costellom5

Return to Sony analogue sources