SONY CDP-R1a & DAS-R1a

CDPs, DATs, MDs, PCM & D/A converters...

SONY CDP-R1a & DAS-R1a

Postby mpd » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi All,

Well it's landed....A mint condition low use SONY CDP-R1a & DAS-R1a

after a few delays on the dispatch front, will be hooking it up tonight and doing the A/B comparison against the CDP R3.  :D

Mark
mpd
Knobber

Re: SONY CDP-R1a & DAS-R1a

Postby mpd » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:50 am

Well after few days of listening I can report that the Sony CDP R1a and DAS R1a is simply sublime. It is better than the CDP R3 but in ways where the music tone is more full and rich. The detail is amazing but I am not saying sparking top end SACD detail or like many modern CD players available now that seem slanted in this direction.

Have been spinning Bach Brandenburg Concertos by Karajan & Berlin Philharmoiker and Bernstien's Malher 5 Symphony by Deutsche Grammophon. The strings are so life like and hearing more the technique of the musicians playing is a fantastic revelation.

Even Modern music like Dido's 'life for rent' the vocals are more present than the R3.
Jazz has that depth and body between the Bass and drums giving a great platform for Mile Davis trumpet solo on 'Kind of Blue'. I m really talking about separation of the instruments is it strength.

Owning this reference combo is a joy to use and I can only highly recommend it if you take the plunge. A good friend who owns a Sony SCD 1 came round and we ended up listening to some music over a glass of wine! He remarked in his own words that it outperforms the SCD 1 CD playback and has a character all of its own.

The combo really requires good speaker cables, interconnects which is why I think I may need to upgrade from Chorus 2 and Epic speaker cables. TOSLINK is a must.

So to end this mini review I still recommend the R3 as that first step into the world of Sony reference players but the combo R1a and DAS 1a is the ultimate. The difference in wine terms is first(Combo) and second(R3) growths, Bordeaux of course.

I may look out for a DAS 1 with the S1 chips as Axel has, what does everyone think?

Still looking for some amplifier advice as I am currently running the super TA F808es.
mpd
Knobber

Postby Axel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Mark,

Still not surprising :)

The bi-directional Twin-Link does make the overall rendition much more coherent and properly "timed". Over a regular TOS(hiba) it is normal, but it does so over the 75 Ohm coaxial as well which would prove that two-way clocking is one of the crucial key.

Keep the SOC-10 Twin Link cable safe - it would be difficult to find as spare part !

The original DAS-R1 and its dual Philips TDA1541A S1 should make for a very different sound perspective : "old" 16bit vs. 1bit PULSE/SENSE/45bit NS...
Axel
Founders

Postby mpd » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks Axel, Yes the twin-link clock definitely has something to do with the reproduction of the sound.

I remember reading an article from Gramphone.net that there was not much difference between the R1/DAS1 and the R1a/DAS 1a and proved to be a useless exercise trying to find any. But I can't comment.

Managed also to get a 'NEW in a sealed box' spare KSS 151A on its way to me as I type, this was expensive!

This combo is an original UK version, have the instructions, remote and original boxes.....one careful owner who went SACD and not used them since 2002!

Pictures to follow soon.
mpd
Knobber

Postby Stoffie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Great to hear you are enjoying it so much. Looking forward to the pictures!

I think it will probably remain a dream for me to ever own this luscious combo. Still not exactly affordable stuff, even after all these years.

I've been listening to an SCD-555ES (with Tentlabs mods) for the past year and a half or so, and while I enjoy its sound, I do feel a craving for the CDP-X777ES again, both in terms of sound and operation.

How do you feel the CDP-R3 compares to a CDP-X777ES ?
Stoffie
Knobber

Postby mpd » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:29 am

Thanks Stoffie,

I am not sure how the x777es sounds Axel has a better opinion on this.....although I owned a x779 and that was very good so I guess its almost the same...On the combo R1a/DAS1a it took me three months to persuade the owner to sell it....even though he didn't use it!
mpd
Knobber

Postby mpd » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:32 am

and the CDP R3 is head and shoulders above the x779es if that helps.....
mpd
Knobber

Re: SONY CDP-R1a & DAS-R1a pics

Postby mpd » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Some pictures from my rack.....

Imager1a_1

Imager1a_3

Imager1a_2
mpd
Knobber

Postby Rare_Hifi » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:30 pm

Mark,

I completely missed this thread. Congratulations on this purchase, a really beautiful find. How does the performance compare to any other players you have owned besides the R3?

I think that an investment in this combination will really pay off over time. When you compare it to modern players there really is little difference and the Sony cd/dac is still up there with the best of the best....I think some people are slowly realising that they have been had in modern audio.

Ritchie
Rare_Hifi
Knobber

Postby Sergey1977 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:07 pm

mpd wrote:Well after few days of listening I can report that the Sony CDP R1a and DAS R1a is simply sublime. It is better than the CDP R3 but in ways where the music tone is more full and rich. The detail is amazing but I am not saying sparking top end SACD detail or like many modern CD players available now that seem slanted in this direction.

Have been spinning Bach Brandenburg Concertos by Karajan & Berlin Philharmoiker and Bernstien's Malher 5 Symphony by Deutsche Grammophon. The strings are so life like and hearing more the technique of the musicians playing is a fantastic revelation.

Even Modern music like Dido's 'life for rent' the vocals are more present than the R3.
Jazz has that depth and body between the Bass and drums giving a great platform for Mile Davis trumpet solo on 'Kind of Blue'. I m really talking about separation of the instruments is it strength.

Owning this reference combo is a joy to use and I can only highly recommend it if you take the plunge. A good friend who owns a Sony SCD 1 came round and we ended up listening to some music over a glass of wine! He remarked in his own words that it outperforms the SCD 1 CD playback and has a character all of its own.

The combo really requires good speaker cables, interconnects which is why I think I may need to upgrade from Chorus 2 and Epic speaker cables. TOSLINK is a must.

So to end this mini review I still recommend the R3 as that first step into the world of Sony reference players but the combo R1a and DAS 1a is the ultimate. The difference in wine terms is first(Combo) and second(R3) growths, Bordeaux of course.

I may look out for a DAS 1 with the S1 chips as Axel has, what does everyone think?

Still looking for some amplifier advice as I am currently running the super TA F808es.

Gonfratulations, very nice combo.

Let me help you a little bit with your new amps choice.

As you have purchsed the combo 1a you should get the new amp to benefit from the sound quality 100%.

In my opinion you should go for the amps with XLR balanced inputs hich provides the shortest direct path for signal from D/A section to amplification. Your current amp TA-F808ES does not have XLRs. My proposition is to try Sony TA-FA7ES, TA-FA777ES as well as TA-E90ES/TA-N90ES. Also these amps sounds much better than your current TA-F808ES.
However, it is quit difficult to recommend on which amp suits you because I have no idea about your speakers.

Of course, to buy the match series you can go for TA-E1/TA-N1. But on my point of view these combo does not provide very good value/for money being overevaluated.

Also you ca have a look at another producers like Pioneer Exclusive. Beautiful amp is Pioneer A-09: Pure class A amplification, golden connectors and, of course, XLR inputs. You will not be dissapointed with this amp which could be compared to a good tube amp in sound section.

If you decide to sell your TA-F808ES please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards
Sergey1977

Next

Return to Sony digital sources