Pioneer S-922II

Pioneer S-922II

Postby Romain » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Hey there everyone,

Just a little story for the fun : Me selling those gorgeous Pioneer S-922II (aka S-1010), properly restored with home made kick ass surrounds :-).

They are very cool speakers, with PG diaphragms, beryllium ribbon tweeter, 36cm big passive radiator, 26cm active woofer well motorized with a big magnet, much bigger than the one you can find on the HPM-100 for example. Very well made speakers.

My buyer was of the purist kind, very passionate about Celestion, owner of some Ditton 66…
I'm not lacking experience regarding high quality vintage hifi, room arrangement and speaker positioning but I recently had to move house for my new job in a new town so I just took what I found to put all my stuff wherever I could. Anyway - I managed to have a pretty honest living room in the last few months.
So he starts advising me about my room, how I should place the speakers, what I should put inside instead of the original glass fiber, what I should put on the walls and so on and so on… Even if I knew everything already I listened to him very attentively (it's always good to take someone's opinion), and we finally managed to actually listen to some music.

The musical experience was very good on my high score set CDP-X779ES, TA-E88B, TA-N7B and S-1010… By the way the N7B which was just decorating since its acquisition about 3 months ago was outstanding in comparison to all my good amplifiers collection. Better than KA-8100, TA-F808ES, TA-F6B, TA-5650, SU-8080, HA-7700, and everything else actually. It's my best amplifier and one of the best I've ever heard. The kind of amplifier which make you think "that is music… definitely."

The Pioneers sound just right, nothing on the front, good definition, surprising bass regarding the passive radiator technology... far away from the Ditton 66 I remember on a big DIY p-p of KT88 of far more than 100W efficiency. He found them very good and didn't take too long to tell me "It's OK I take them."

He was very kind and even managed to bring its own Rogers LS 3/5A 15 Ohm ! I never had the chance to hear them so I was kind of happy.
I found them very good with beautiful voices and imaging but with a pretty low efficiency, no impact in the mids and high and boomy bass (my room is not at the top for that one). So I thought "Let's compare them to my SS-A1L and see what happens !" Unbelievable, (but predictable :-)) the Sonys are better ! In all the ways, better bass definition, better impact, better definition, better voices… I was confused because they were even better than the Pioneers on voices and highs - and my buyer agreed on that as well !

So it's getting late and I end up the sale while it is still time, we put the speakers in its car and when it's time to shake his hand I think that maybe I could ask him to help me put the SS-8150 in the living room - two times 55Kg are to much for one guy !
Intrigued, he asks me for a last listening session. I put the music on "et là, c'est le drame", the Sonys are far far superior to everything else, the bass definition is like you've never heard (anyone can love DUB music on those definitely), the mids and high are with super impact and definition and no agressivity. Truly musical - no comparison with the Pioneers. I didn't know what to say so I said "You see, they are not bad, it's honest for some 1974 speakers don't you think ?". Kind of thrown his response was like "My God ! Those one are so much better than the others !!!"… oups…

Well after a little speech regarding the rarity of the Sonys (which are absolutely not for sale), he went home with the Pioneers.
But the end of the story is : Never do the comparison with Sony's big high-end if you want to sell something else. I should have remembered that I almost lost the sale of a Teac VRDS-10SE by comparing it to a CDP-X77ES… The good reputation of the VRDS and the bad one of Sony in general saved me... even if in all good objectivity, the X77 is far better than the 10SE.

Voilà !!
Romain
Knobber

Re: Pioneer S-922II

Postby Romain » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:21 pm

And just for you guys:

Rom.
Romain
Knobber

Postby JwFabrie » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:58 am

very interesting! and those sony's are some very interesting speakers as well!!
JwFabrie
Knobber

Postby NEMOaudio » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:19 pm

Rom.

That's a story one should remember.
The other thing is that you have published some nice pictures,
which leads to other problems.........Well, just questions.
I see that you also have a NIKKO TRM-600 amplifier (Nikko tuner and Wega amp.)
Can you share some of your impressions regarding the NIKKO amplifier.
I remember auditioning one of them around 1982 and as I recall it was a very nice sounding amplifier.

Robert
NEMOaudio

Postby Romain » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks both of you for you comments,

Robert, I heard the NIKKO just a few times some years ago, now it's just decorating!

Aesthetically speaking, I find it very vintage in a good way with it's cool tuner...
If I remember well, it puts some continuous current into the speakers after a few minutes and it has no protection circuit, so... As I have plenty other amp to repair very much better than this one, it's not my priority. Besides, this one has no protection circuit so there is absolutely no chance that I use it on my speakers, even repaired...

My last trial was on some DIY Full-Range speakers MLTQW (or MLTL for Mass Load Transmission Line or Mass Load Transmission in Quarter Wave) with Fostex FE-207E. I remember that it was better than a NAD C320BEE, much less aggressive and with better bass ans mids definition. It appears that my hand was on the volume knob when I saw the fostex's getting pushed by the continuous current and I had the time to power off the amp... Ouf...

The tuner works but gives no stereo and I know nothing about tuner repair...

The Wega 42V is a little bomb! Very nervous, very detailled, a truth high quality sound. 90W eff if I remember well and to me it is better than my kenwood's KA-8150/KA-7100.

Rom.
Romain
Knobber

Postby NEMOaudio » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Rom,

They are nice items, even for decorative purposes only.
I was only asking because my NIKKO TRM-750 that was sold in the early '80-s
(which I still regret) had a very good sound.
The NIKKO TRM-800 that I have now, is also a great amplifier in it's (vintage) category.

The volume setting (as recommended in old instruction manuals),
I always turn down when switching on and off the amplifier.

Good luck with your speaker building projects.

Robert
NEMOaudio

Return to Pioneer speakers