TVK prints FOR SALE

Actual or upcoming sales and/or trading - for Knobbers only !

TVK prints FOR SALE

Postby Axel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:16 am

PRINTS for SALE

Here offered are prints I will make from my TVK collection of catalogs and magazines : to keep all this in boxes when the content would be so interesting to so many of you seems... silly.
I will therefore roam through those stacks, scan the best images and gradually make them available for purchase. The TVK Archives are going... public :)

"Best" here covers two notions :
Technically, the images have to withstand enlargement and must therefore be well printed in the first place.
Artistically, the images must be surprising, mysterious, moody, typical, schmaltzy, cheesy, breathtaking, charming - anything but basic packshots with bland lighting.
The result being beautiful A2-sized prints of the best hi-fi images ever made between the 1950s and early 2000s, spread in three sections : gear, mood and, yes, pinups.

This is NOT your average eBay ad sale made with shabby laser copies marred by fingerprints and the backside seeping through, plus blurred screening as thick as 10% THD
and 2cm missing in the middle. This offer is for very serious, tedious, painstaking, rrrrrghgrgrah work, technically at the very limit of what can be done with pre-printed material :
poster-size archival prints here, not table-top thumbnails.

Technique :
> Scanning
For opaque documents the machine I have been using since 2006 is the Epson V700 : perfect, reliable and very sharp.
Absolutely NO descreening system is applied as that always makes for ugly murky whatevers ; instead, the scanning resolution is chosen after multiple tests in direct relation
to the final output size : the images thus remain as sharp as can be.
Original documents are handled with white gloves, double-page spreads are stiched with utmost precision, respective screening grids included. What looks like a very clean
800px-wide image on TVK in fact comes from a file often 10x bigger, processed in a calibrated environment from scanning to printing, with a big 2500$ Eizo monitor in the middle.
I am a professional photographer (http://www.axeldahl.com) and I ain't kidding about this. The scanner I use for my photographic work is an Imacon 848, an industry
standard which still costs 15,000€ today - "quality".

> Post-processing
White points, scuffs and age marks are done with, original color casts gotten rid of, paper yellowing minimized, sharpening used minimally - etc ; the result is as clean as can be,
without any grid patterns or typically Photoshop-esque artefacts getting in the way. I will not, however, clean up a 1967 image thoroughly enough to make it look like it was printed
last week - thou shalt not cheat on time.

> Printing
The printer I now use is the Epson SC-P800 with the A2 roll-paper option installed ; I've been professionally using Epson printers since 1999 - they work.
Epson's UltraChrome HD inks are pigment-based therefore not subject to fading, yellowing or hue changes over the years.

> Output size
The DIN A2 equals 17" inches so this format allows 42,5cm in width and up to anything in length - even 30 meters if I wanted to (…and had the fitting original).
Actually the maximum width is 43,5cm but I have to leave some margin for the framing ; the enlargement ratio ranges between x3 and x6.

> Paper
There's a choice of two : standard and deluxe. Previsibly, too, deluxe is pricier but both are matte : it's a necessity with large prints, otherwise they act as mirrors and shiny-glossy
papers mark too easily and don't last as long either ; I coat all of my prints with an invisible spray for further protection against UV exposure.
Standard
is Epson's Enhanced Matte (aka Archival Matte) : 189g in thickness with a soft, flat but velvet-ish surface ; this is the paper I use daily for my clients and for just about everything.
Print longevity is of about 15 years (...probably twice as much).
Deluxe
is Hahnemuehle's Museum Etching : a 350g pure cotton and slightly textured archival paper ; no alpha-cellulose, no optical brighteners and a neutral pH so print longevity is...
you're in for a full century. Truly magnificent paper.

Numbers :
Each image will be printed on order only and within limited runs of 10 for each paper type ; that's 20 prints in toto ; once the 20th print of the same image will have been made… no more.
Prints will be signed, numbered and identified as such ; this is not ego, just an ID method to avoid scams.

Prints will be shipped in expensive heavyweight cardboard boxes (snapshot below) with added full-size cardboard plates inside, prints padded in cristal paper wraps.

Notes :
> Remember that prints have to be framed, properly, with a glass window, to avoid drastic humidity changes, dust, ever possible bolognese sauce throwaways and kids' sudden
urge to draw hectic worlds with permanent markers of the color black.
> If you want to keep your prints for a very long time : no sunlight or halogen lamps directly on them.
> Remember the image you will choose will be BIG : choose carefully, no hurry, at all, so you do not get tired of it after a week.
> Again : this is NOT your average eBay cutout ad sales but poster-size archival prints.

Here it is, dedicated website :
>>> http://www.pristine-audio-posters.com <<<

Besides recent prints made for active supporters of the TVK project throughout the years, you can see below an original magazine and its A2 enlargement above it - big, isn't it ?

> ctrl-click all images for full-size view in new window <

And an early TVK pinup from 1970 :

And an example of post-processing work :
This original april 1982 catalog for the TX-1000 was in bad shape when I received it from Japan ; black-on-black doesn't help and Nakamichi never spent much on printing quality anyway.
Original size is 21cm in width. As you can see, the scan is weak in contrast and saturation... there's a reason : to preserve a maximum of detail.

The result, after quite a few hours of work, here shown at 25% of the file's size and made to be printed at about 55cm in width :

The process summarized in three steps with the cover of the original catalog for the DP-100, none too well printed in standard A4 size.

The same, printed on standard paper ; image size is now of 39x45cm (x2 ratio).

(the yello is due to my room lighting : the prints are white and bright, of course !)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clean, ain't it ? This is the closest one can get to the original Ektachrome. Now you may wonder why go to such lengths to scan and print properly ?
Because the printed catalogs are all that is left : all original slides /negatives /printing plates /4x5" duplicates etc were almost always junked right after printing. Trash can. Out.
This is preservation, archive work, not fiddly-do quickies.
Axel
Founders

Re: TVK prints FOR SALE

Postby Stoffie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:50 am

Interesting! Curious to see what you will be offering, I might need some to liven up my music room :)

I only have my Gattaca poster for now :roll:
Stoffie
Knobber

TVK prints #1

Postby Axel » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Here is lot #1 of what is available : 16 images.
That's not even scratching the first µ of the surface but do remember I have thousands of them and will therefore need time to scan what is worthwhile !

PINUP
Akai july 1980 JP catalog for the ravishing UC series ; for those who remember some, this is Katia (the one with Beryllium hair).
max. print size : 72x43cm

MOOD
Harman/Kardon undated (but fourth printing...) USA catalog for the St-7 turntable.
max. print size : 56x43cm

GEAR
Famous Nakamichi image for the 700II bestseller ; USA catalog printed february 1980.
max. print size : 56x43cm

GEAR
Invisibilia image for the Nakamichi 1000 DAT, from an extra-ultra rare dedicated JP catalog dated april 1989 - magnificent product design.
max. print size : 53x43cm

GEAR
Niro Nakamichi's own 1000ZXL Limited, from a JP press document.
max. print size : 76x51cm

MOOD
Nakamichi's System 70, inside a JP catalog dated september 1987.
max. print size : 43x46cm

GEAR
The best image of the Nakamichi TX-1000, from the april 1982 8-page catalog (the other two catalogs published are either smaller or not as complete).
max. print size : 63x53cm

PINUP
Pathé-Marconi french catalog from 1970 ; for those who remember some, this is Layla.
max. print size : 50x42cm

MOOD
Setton two-page german ad for the RCS-X1000, published in 1978.
max. print size : 62x45cm

GEAR
Very rare image from when the ELcaset format still was active (sort of) ; from a german general '77 catalog I will scan most of everything as well.
max. print size : 46x43cm

MOOD
Extra-giga rare image originating from, I believe, an NL catalog of generous dimensions ; however, I never could locate a copy so all I got is the smaller french reprint from 1973.
Luckily this was well printed/re-printed so a large print of it can be made.
max. print size : 69x40cm

MOOD
Only people who own Sony's ES Review issues have seen these gems of aerography, so trendy throughout the late 70s and early 80s.
This is the cover of #51, printed summer 1983.
max. print size : 66x51cm

MOOD
Same as above ; this is the cover of #52, printed fall 1983.
max. print size : 67x52cm

GEAR
Only people who own Sony's ES Review issues have seen these :) This is the cover of #25, printed fall 1976.
max. print size : 45x38cm

PINUP
Ultra-rare JP catalog dedicated to everything portable at Sony, printed october 1979, the first showcasing the TPS-L2 that would very quickly take over the entire expanding universe.
Since these two beauties weren't in the old TVK's Pinup section, I'll now name them Barbara (blue) and Kimberly (pink).
max. print size : 44x41cm

MOOD
Exceedingly... invisible Westlake catalog, printed january 1974 by the then-distributor of Westlake in Japan : Teac. Very 1960s-ish and impressive as only horns can be.
max. print size : 59x41cm

EDIT : the TVK Prints will be moved to a dedicated website in the coming days.
Axel
Founders

Postby JwFabrie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:09 pm

wow! love it to bits. will wait for anything eXclusive ;-)
JwFabrie
Knobber

TVK print #2

Postby Axel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:12 pm

Thirteen more while I decide where this project goes.

PINUP
Aurex november 1978 cover of Toshiba's JP-only corporate magazine "Joy" which ran from c. 1972 to c.1979.
This is Hitomi (in japanese = girl with beautiful eyes), wearing a System 15 as necklace.
max. print size : 43x55cm

MOOD
Pioneer's wish-you-were-here-like image, from the big general EU 78'79 catalog.
max. print size : 43x60cm

GEAR
Cover of the JP amps & tuners catalog, published july 1976.
max. print size : 43x56cm

PINUP
Dual pinup, from the EU catalog for the 1970/71 season, page 3.
This is Agathe.

PINUP
Dual pinup, from the EU catalog for the 1970/71 season, page 5.
This is Gerda.

MOOD
The best image of Pioneer's eXclusive Model 2401, from a 2401/2402 dedicated JP catalog published april 1989.
max. print size : 43x39cm

GEAR
The best image of the Pioneer eXclusive C3, from the may 1973 JP catalog.

GEAR
The best image of the Pioneer eXclusive M4, from the undated but dedicated JP catalog.

MOOD
Striking cover of the main k7 and (on the back side) remaining open-reel recorders' catalog published march 1981.

GEAR
Inside the JP dedicated catalog centered on the PL-70 published february 1980 - an xxxx-rare image.
max. print size : 43x59cm

MOOD
Studio Boy, the name says it all ; from the dedicated (and absolute Invisibilia) catalog published in Japan may 1982.

GEAR
Double-page spread from the rare USA SX-1280 catalog published february 1978.
max. print size : 43x87cm - bigger than real-life !

PINUP
From the magnificent and xxxxxx-rare JP VP-1000 catalog, published november 1980. The Vp-1000 was Pioneer's first LD player after taking
over the format from MCA/Philips - still named "DiscoVision", though). This is Adalyn, wondering which galaxy she will travel through, tonight.
max. print size : 53x63cm
Axel
Founders

Postby Stoffie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Interested in at least a couple ones on here! 8-)
Stoffie
Knobber

Postby Axel » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:20 pm

A few more samples :

The Technics RS-1500 closeup image measures 41 x 71cm on a 43,5x 80cm sheet - big !
And as sharp as can be, too.

Invisibilia image of the Lux M-6000 ; 41x57cm.
Axel
Founders

Postby JwFabrie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 pm

looks stunning!
JwFabrie
Knobber

Postby Axel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:44 am

Axel
Founders

TVK prints FOR SALE : dedicated website

Postby Axel » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:01 pm

The dedicated website is online and apparently live as well at :
http://www.pristine-audio-posters.com

55 images are listed as of today... another 450 to go :)
Axel
Founders

Return to Knobbers' sales