What's out there today?

Re: What's out there today?

Postby doomlord_uk » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:42 pm

I like the look of the new Teac components, a nice blend of retro - shades of Technics in my mind - and modern. I like how it's the side panels made of heavy aluminium rather than the faceplate, a nice (literal) twist. How good they will sound etc remains to be seen, they aren't out yet, and I'm not so sure about the cost. But ...very nice looking.

As for Yamaha... I am no fan at all of their retro-styling experiment. As a one off experiment the AS2000 and CD2000(?) were a nice touch, a great nod to the past and they were by all accounts good components in their own right. But I struggle to see how that 70s silverface look borrowed from the CR range of amps and receivers really really translates into an entire brand identity. I love Yamaha but I just can't get behind this. And the AS3000 is just ...20 years too late? I don't know. It looks like it's part of a cheap range, it's specced like a mid-range and priced like a high-end range component. And the design is just ...weak. If Yamaha want to re-invent the highend again that would be awesome but they need to make a clean break with their current styling. You just can't charge Lexus prices for something that looks like a Corolla...
doomlord_uk

Postby Axel » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:45 am

Yamaha worked on design for the overwhelming part of its production with GK Design in Japan from the early 1970s onward. I suppose it still is the case, even for these re-attempts at re-entering high-fidelity.

The results are indeed "re", "bis" and "again" : great on the 3D renderings but lacking everything necessary in real life.
This was, and still is, also true for Marantz throughout its history... Nakamichi, too.
Yamaha/GK made a few excellent items in the 1980s and early 1990s but for the most part failed on coloring and texturing which Sony (always) or Lux (most of the time) or Pioneer (50s and 60s) were masters at.

The 2000 series was particularily messed up as an obvious mix between the unmixable CA-2000 and A-7 periods.
The 3000s are less of a mess to me because there is some sheen added here and there, something Yamaha/GK always had a problem in mastering with finesse. But, as a whole, it doesn't work either. It's a better step but it still isn't excellent design, even if extremely well finished.

As for "entire brand identities", it wasn't the case back then and never will be : high-fidelity is now a microscopic niche with very few sales.

And as for Lexus vs. Corolla, read this : http://www.thevintageknob.org/tvk_talk/viewtopic.php?f=566&t=1832 ;-)
Axel
Founders

Postby NEMOaudio » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:57 pm

Axel wrote:The results are indeed "re", "bis" and "again" ...

And Pioneer does the same, re-using a design from their last stereo amplifier.
Apparently with succes

NEMOaudio

Previous

Return to All the rest