My new love => Sony SS-G7S

My new love => Sony SS-G7S

Postby Paddy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello!

I'm happy new owner of pair a Sony SS-G7S. I know this speakers are diffrent as standard model G7 (rear panel and crossover). Someone know more differences?
I'ts amazing , this boxe's soundig better like my B&W Matrix 801 series3 and Cabasse Pacific SCS600 :shock:
I'm looking for some info about exactly this model Sony G7 in web but...nothing :(
Maybe sameone of You can help me know more about G7S.
Thanks for any help.

PS. Maybe someone of You have Owner Manual to SS-G7S?

Best Regards Patrick.

PPS. Sorry for my broken English :oops:
Becouse the music matters...
Paddy

Re: My new love => Sony SS-G7S

Postby Axel » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Welcome Paddy !

Just do a Google search : top result of the first page and you land there : http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-SS-G7.html.

The SS-G7S seems to be a late-run Germany-only version, probably made on japanese overstocks which Sony SDL tweaked to try and sell some before stopping the sale of the G7.
I've never seen an "official" G7S image or catalog and the single-country / small-run probably prevented any specific manual to have been printed.

For those who don't know the item, the SS-G7S is an SS-G7 with a 3-way crossover/terminals added to allow tri-amping.
I thought I had added the G7S info to the page but apparently... didn't.

Post images if you can !
Axel
Founders

Postby Paddy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:51 pm

My pair come fom Germany. Last owner buy this speaker from Recordig Studioin Frankfurt some time a go with RK cable and full documentation but...documentation its lost :(
He told me about this version was made only on German market. Triamp its possible by this boxes only with active crossover for example Sony TA-D88 or 900
On rear panel we have a switch => internal or external crossover.
Picture...of course ;)
I made some upgrade to today's standard => speaker terminals , sandstone stand's and spikes. Every changes can be restore to the factory condition.
Paddy

Postby Axel » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:56 pm

Yep, just as I thought : like the few different versions of the APM-6 I was told about, specific runs made for this or that business/application or client.

Now all you need is a TA-D900 and a trio of TA-N86B, or even a sextet of them !
Axel
Founders

Postby Paddy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:19 pm

I have some problem with added picture.
There is link to photo gallery => http://patrick.pstrykniete.pl/Sony%20SS-G7S/
Paddy

Postby Unda Maris » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:30 am

Congratulations Patrick !

Even for me as a hard core Sony enthusiast, it sounds pretty surprising, that these speakers could beat B&W 801 in the actual condition.

Here is, what I know from my SS-G5 and from the standpoint of a (former) semi-pro speaker designer:

- The pastification of the surrounds of the bass driver tends to harden, so they get bass light over time.
- Nothing beats classic Alnico 15" woofers (Enter TAD Blues again)
- The crossover is full of cheap and crappy components like polar caps and I-core coils
- The midrange is about the very best paper cone midrange drivers ever made (It is more of a fullrange driver and features superior pulse response and distortion)

The SS-G7S will not be very different in these points, so if nobody modified the internal crossovers, these speakers run in a sub optimal way in passive mode, but could be absolute killers in active mode (but be careful, the tweeters are likely not DC protected in this mode and don't tolerate/forgive amplifier pops/thumbs during power up). A high quality 22uF...100uF MKP foil cap in series with the tweeter input could protect them better in active mode and would not influence phase too much.

If you ever like to part with these (because you got a pair of SS-G9 or a SS-GR1), I'm open. :mrgreen:
Unda Maris
Knobber

Postby Stoffie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm

Congrats, very nice speakers ! Still on my wishlist, but no space...

Still enjoying my SS-G4D's every day, it's hard to imagine an easier listening speaker that still brings the goods.

If you want to try them actively, I think you need to get Unda Maris and me together for enough Sony vintage amps and crossovers (although he could easily do it on his own) :lol:
Stoffie
Knobber

Postby Paddy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:02 pm

Unda Maris wrote:
Congratulations Patrick !

Even for me as a hard core Sony enthusiast, it sounds pretty surprising, that these speakers could beat B&W 801 in the actual condition.

The SS-G7S will not be very different in these points...

If you ever like to part with these (because you got a pair of SS-G9 or a SS-GR1), I'm open. :mrgreen:

Thank You :)

This situation surprising me too but...its true.

I was owner a standard G7. I'm sold this pair for my friend. Hi make for me a photo crossover to compare.

I think this moment never comes because my nosefactor "told me" after upgrade internal crossover to today's technology componets this boxes will be a High End killer ;) I sale Cabasse. Next step on my Sony Fan way will be SS-G9 and active crossover TA-D88 or 900. Next week i'm buy Behringer SUPER-X PRO CX3400 active crossover => http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CX3400.aspx
Paddy

Postby Paddy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Stoffie wrote:Congrats, very nice speakers ! Still on my wishlist, but no space...

Still enjoying my SS-G4D's every day, it's hard to imagine an easier listening speaker that still brings the goods.

If you want to try them actively, I think you need to get Unda Maris and me together for enough Sony vintage amps and crossovers (although he could easily do it on his own) :lol:

I know SS-G4D only from official catalogues :(
About five year a go in my system "play" pair of SS-G5. Good sounding boxes my recommendation ;)
In my stereo system was also Sony TA-N7 => very nice sounding power amp and TA-N902 => this is for my a very best power amp which i know from Sony. TA-N7 worked with preamp TA-E88B and TA-N902 with TA-E900. In my opinion we can compare TA-E900 with today's hi class preamps with out stress :D

To try my G7S in active mode i must find one more pair of monoblock or stereo power amp ;)
Paddy

Postby Stoffie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Seems like you've already experienced the 'good stuff' and still are :)

I enjoy my TA-N7B tremendously, like you say, a wonderful amp. My TA-E900 and TA-N900's are off duty for now until I can have them overhauled. Never heard a TA-N902...
Stoffie
Knobber

Next

Return to Sony speakers