Sony TA-3200F

amps & preamps, receivers, filters, Quad, systems...

Sony TA-3200F

Postby pat66 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:18 am

Here is the story about the last member of my collection the SONY TA 3200F.

It arrived like this on my work bench.
Good cosmetic condition but the inside was unfortunatly totaly different.
Two transistors were missing
And the two others were not the originals TX183-S but more common 2N3055
Next surprise, the main board looks incomplete, the drivers of the right channel are mising,
and lot of compoments have over heated and seem burned.
Well, as you can see, there is lot of work to do on the amp before it sings again ...
As all the wiring is located on back side of the board it looks very clean, but for servicing it's a nightmare.
It is very difficult to unsolder or solder any parts without burning the isolation of the neighboring wires
So I decided to cut all the wires and remove the board. By this way I can easily take off all the components from the printed board,
check them, replace the bad ones, and rebuilt the board with only good parts.

At this point of my story, I discovered that they exist at least two versions of this amplifier.
The first service manual I found was this one
When I compared the inside of my amp with the pictures inside the manual, I found some mismatches :
- there is no extra protection board in my unit
- the layout of the main board is totaly different
I started a new search for an other version of the service manual and I finaly found this one
It covers the serial numbers starting with X10 001, and mine is 510 511. Bingo !
Yes, but the marking on components side of the main board is not corresponding to the one included in the service manual :o

So I decided to remove the parts on the left channel first, by this way I was able to compare my work with the other one.
Finally, I replaced almost all the transistors, resistors and capacitors.
A diode and a transistor must be placed on the solder side due to a mistake ( :?: ) in the routing of the board.
After the main board, I started a deep cleaning of the housing. And for doing this, the best way is to disassemble all that can be
I found another surprise when I tried to put the new power transistors on their socket.
On three of them a connection was missing.
I found new socket
But the diameter of the mounting holes on the heat sink was to small, so I enlarged them.
After a last check, it is time to power it and monitor some critical voltages.
Bias OK - Offset OK, let see what happens with an 8 ohms load on each channel : 100W on each channel before clipping
After this successful test, it can join some old friends who are already in my collection

That's all folk !
pat66
Knobber

Re: Sony TA-3200F

Postby JwFabrie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:03 am

GOOD work!
JwFabrie
Knobber

Return to Sony components