Question for Axel (Sony Falcon)

amps & preamps, receivers, filters, Quad, systems...

Question for Axel (Sony Falcon)

Postby Sergey1977 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:39 am

I have purchased the Sony Falcon system. The components are TAN-15F, TAE-20F, ST-10FL, TC-15F.

Could you please help a little bit and answer the questions as follows:

1. How big is the difference between TC-15F and TC-20F? All what I can see is the absence of logical control buttons in TC-15F, sendust head and addition of position IV tapes. I have seen from your pictures that you have both these models. Could you please tell me if it worth to try to buy the TC-20F in addition to TC-15F as far as the quality of the sound and record is concerned?

2. I am also trying at the moment to find the matching turntable like PS-20F. Could you tell me please, how difficult to find one in the good condition?

3. Is TAN-15F based on PLPS? In dedicated article on the Vintage Knob you have stated that this amp works in class A. Could you please also tell me if it is alright to use this amp with speakers like Wharfedale W70 (Rosedale)?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Best regards
Sergey1977

Re: Question for Axel (Sony Falcon)

Postby Axel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Sergey,

TC-20F
I only have one TC-20F left and the TC-15F is on loan wherever so I can't compare them precisely but the 15F is built cheaper (enclosure, electronics, for the actual tape drive I don't know). Sony JP published a dedicated catalog for the TC-20F but not for the TC-15F or the 10F and that generally says what has to be said...
The 20F I have left is in need of a complete cleanup inside ; no idea of the sound but it is a solid and very heavy bit of hardware.

PS-20F
Like the PS-P7X, the PS-10/20F/FB are easily findable in Japan for insignificant prices like 10€ but bidding/shipping remains the usual problem. Elsewhere I don't know but don't hold your breath, sound-wise : they are very pretty but cheap turntables, just like the ST-10F/L tuner.
With patience you'll find one in Europe but do not spend much on this : anything above 50€ would already be quite overpriced.
(Rarity notwithstanding but a BE-9 tape eraser is very rare as well and who would spend more than 2€ on it ?-)

TAN-15F
Of the two TAN-15F I have, only one is working but it gets so hot I don't use it anymore ; it has been checked and repaired so it is its normal state... It sounds really great : fast, tight, Class A, star of the Falcons. The other one has somewhat different circuits/parts and is apperently dead or in need of unfindable ICs which are not outlined in the service manual. There is no PPS/PLPS inside : regular trafo/heatsink tandem.

ax.
Axel
Founders

Postby Sergey1977 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi Axel,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Having had read your post I have to admit that my system is in the better condition.

Power amp TAN-15F does get very hot. My question was, on the back there is the mark that speakers impedance should be 8-16 Ohm. In your opinion, is it alright to use the speakers with an impedance less than 8 Ohm, and floor-standers in general, with this power amp? I currently use Wharfedale Rosedale (W70) and APM-22ES. And also, sorry to ask you again, but how did you know that this power-amp is class A amp?

Unfortunately, like your casssette decks, my one also has a problem which occurs at recording - for the first five minutes the record appears to be distorted in left channel. The playback is fine though. Unbelievable is the reliability of the transport mechanism. After all these years it seems that this deck does not need the new belts!

From you reply I have understood that the original Falcon turntable is not that brill as the other components. Could you please recommend decent Sony turntable to match this system?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
Sergey1977

Postby Axel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:11 pm

My TAN-15F service manual is I don't know where so I can't be specific but I remember my tech told me it was when attempting the repair of the one that still doesn't work and the cleanup of the one that does... That much heat can only be Class A anyway - even my TA-N86B doesn't get that hot in Class A mode !

The APM-22ES should be fine at 90dB/ and 6 Ohm nominal but don't go under that : that TAN is a small amp not a powerhouse with a million amperes in stock.

The turntable to "match" is the PS-10/20F :) but any other will do like the PS-X7 (or its very pretty white Wega version) or the PS-X50/60/65/70 series... or Biotracers if you want (and have someone patient enough to get them in good shape) like the PS-X75/700/800. There's plenty to choose from at Sony - and elsewhere ;-)
Axel
Founders

Postby Sergey1977 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Thanks Axel.

As usual with Sony, it was a strange move not to use PLPS or LPS in Falcon TAN-15F although it has been used in many contemporary amps from Sony. But HI-Ft transistors are still inside as well as more than a decent sound for a such small amp.

Thanks for your advices for matching turntables.

Best regards
Sergey1977

Postby Sergey1977 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:41 pm

I have managed to find an oroginal Service Manual for TAN-15F.

The reason why I have asked you about the operation class is that in accordance to this doc the DC Bias is supposed to be 33 mV for each channel.
Sergey1977

Postby Axel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:08 pm

Beware : there are two or three versions of the TAN-15F and thesingle service manual corresponds only to one of them (or partly - I don't remember now).
66mV shouldn't make that much heat !
Axel
Founders

Postby Sergey1977 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks Axel.

I have just got on the phone a friend of mine from Japan - ex Sony employee. That is what he has told me. Never trust the service manuals. But, unfortunately, he told me as well that he never seen TAN-15F as in Japan Falcon was offered with active speakers.

I am using the Sony Falcon right now and after an hour in operation the power amp is very hot in heatsinks area. The sound is amazing with Celine Dion Je sais pas.

But I am using Wharfedale Rosedale W70 as I prefer them so much over the APM-22ES. The Sony SCD-777ES is spinning the disc.

Best regards
Sergey1977

Postby Axel » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:51 pm

ah - service manuals :) True for Sony for that 1976-1979 period and if the Falcon system sold not too well, it really made a very impressive product planning mess !

The TAN-15F was indeed export-only and seemingly Europe-only as well.
Axel
Founders

Postby Sergey1977 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:43 pm

It is true I think.

The only place where I found I little bit of the information about the Falcon system was German catalog of 1981.

Where it said about the TAN-15F: 40 w/ channel Sinus, Hi-FT transistors with exceptional linearity in high-frequencies, good sound quality due to high dampfing factor, two pairs of acoustics connection and this is it.
Sergey1977

Next

Return to Sony components