Sony CDP R3

CDPs, DATs, MDs, PCM & D/A converters...

Sony CDP R3

Postby mpd » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to drop a line to tell everyone that a CDP R3 landed this week and have had this hooked up to my TA F808ES.

All I can say is WOW!

I didn't think there would be much difference in sound but boy was I
wrong....

The picture it paints when listening to music is so sublime, full and rich,
details of music that I never heard before, slightly dark in character
and the vocals are really amazing so present like they are there in front of you, I
never heard my 4x SS A1L's
sound better.

Owning a x779es I thought this was good, but the x707es was better but
not much, but this player's and its DAC is 10 times better than the x707es must be the 18 Bit Burr Brown 1702 that make the difference, along with the Mechanism  

It surprised me did A/B testing using chorus 2 RCA interconnects and chorus Epic speaker cable and some good Redbook CD's.

Mark
Last edited by mpd on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpd
Knobber

Re: Sony CDP R3

Postby Axel » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:13 pm

mpd,

Nice score :)
Did you source it from Japan ?

Owning a CDP-R1 / DAS-R1 combo, your listening result don't surprise me but for the fact that the CDP-R3 is older than both the CDP-X779ES and CDP-X707ES : 1989 !

It is the d/a section and mechanism of the R3 which gave way to the Pulse-equipped X7s (45bit filter, SENS noise shaping, CXD2552Q and above) so I guess it is the execution and even beefier power-supply section that make it better than its non-R and later siblings...

Post images here if you can - these R players are so magnificently built, they make everything else pale in comparison !
(ok - but for the Luxman DP-07 / DA-07).

a.

(ps. you do have a spare laser block, do you ?)
Axel
Founders

Postby mpd » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks Axel,

was sourced from Germany from a collector who rarely used it all, originally from Japan,

Will post some pictures soon,

Got a CDP R1a/DAS1a landing next week :D

Will A/B that against the R3.

The results surprised me too.

I put the x707es back in the rack today just to double check and spun a few discs but the R3 is still so much better...

Mark
mpd
Knobber

Re: Sony CDP R3 - images

Postby mpd » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:45 pm

mpd
Knobber

Postby Stoffie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:24 am

Makes me want one, all over again...

Beautiful! :shock:
Stoffie
Knobber

Postby Axel » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Yes Mark, the laser is the KSS-151A or 151AR if it is (was) a later Sony Replacement part.

I know these are getting expensive despite the fact they were used in many (many) Sony OEM drives (Teac VRDS-10, VRDS-20, Denon and others) but they are bound to get more expensive...
Spare lasers are very rare items in Japan so if one pops up here in Europe or in the US... jump on the train fast if you can !

Stoffie,
You have an X777ES, right ?
I sold my last one last month to cover TVK expenses... but the new owner couldn't believe how radically it slashed his VRDS-20 !
The latter subsequently got sold very rapidly ;-)
Axel
Founders

Postby mpd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi Axel,

Thanks for the info, understood, now on the hunt for a spare KSS 151A, anyone?

Would like to say thank you to Axel for all the work you do and the site which has been amazing for all items SONY :D 

I hope that everyone supports this site as I don't think Axel having to sell his X777es is fair, come on everyone let's support him and take a knobber pass. Only 25 euro fantastic value is what I say better than all those magazines. ;) I shall be taking a knobber account.

Stoffie thanks makes me want to get another one!

Mark
mpd
Knobber

Postby Stoffie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 am

My CDP-X777ES has been sitting for the past year or so. I've been using my modded SCD-555ES, as my X777ES is a bit skippy on certain cd's, but only the first few tracks. I still have to have my mechanic check it out sometime, but haven't even been able to drive to the Netherlands to pick up my revised PS-X800 and TC-K8ES, they've been sitting there for two years now. :oops:  Shame on me, but I hardly have time to listen to music anymore, which sucks.

I remember a KSS-151A popping up on eBay every now and then, so you could keep your eyes open on that auction site.

If you have more awesome Sony stuff, please do show! Guess I should start posting some of my own gear too!
Stoffie
Knobber

Postby virushaus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:24 pm

virushaus
Knobber

Return to Sony digital sources