Just picked up Luxman M-02

amps, preamps, filters, receivers etc

Just picked up Luxman M-02

Postby skiroe » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:58 am

A year or so ago I became aware of a local person who had this thing for M-02s
and was buying them where ever he could and going through them and using in his
own system and selling them also. I was invited over to hear the M-02 ( I had
seen his listing) and while it sounded good there was nothing that particularly
stood out. . At least this is as I recall it now.

Maybe the synergy with the speakers was not quite happening and the room seemed
to just extend into another room with no walls to speak of. At least that's how
my memory serves now.

Fast forward to now---I bought the M-02 more on a compulsion as I had just
picked up a Halo A23 and while the sonics seemed to be working right w/the Halo
especially with some remarkable high note retrieval and then I found out after I
bought the Halo that plastic end caps are fitted to the faceplate. (a whole
wife factor thing going on with Halo) Kinda cheesy power button as well.
That's not going to work for me. I also discovered that one heat sink was cool..
At any rate I dropped it off at Parasound for the seller and I got my money
back immediately even before I dropped it off.

Very unusual in a transaction to get your money back before the seller gets the
unit back.

The M-02 showed up on ebay while I was dealing with the logistics of returning
the Halo as I was notified via saved searches and I snapped it up. :D

Its been all gone through and I was able to just pick it up locally and the sonics are way much
more than I ever expected. I would not have a problem selling my vintage tube
power amps which have also been gone through. Will see what happens. As an afterthought I dont know that the M-02 can do everything better than a tube amp. But that was my first reaction upon listening to it. I will do a comparison at some point. \ Skip

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=STRK:\
MEWNX:IT
skiroe
Knobber

Re: Just picked up Luxman M-02

Postby Axel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:08 pm

The 02s were the last drop of non-Alpine ownership and the M-02 is a special amp.

I know of two people who went through plenty, sold everything back after more or less prolonged use, but kept their M-02s.
Axel
Founders

Postby theophile » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 am

I have seen an internet posting from at least one owner of an M-05,the likes of whom had a fair experience of well regarded amps,who was surprised and delighted by the sound of that amp.

A question:Is the C-06a/M-06a the best of that series?
TT - Yamaha GT 2000
Cart - Soundsmith 'The Voice' Ebony
Phono - Moon LP 5.3
Pre - Hornshoppe The Truth
KRK Expose E8B Studio Monitors
theophile
Knobber

Postby Dalplex » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:38 am

C-06 has video switch and XLR as well. little bit of modern.

start using attenuate instead of potential meter.

no idea of sound quality.
Dalplex

Postby Shaggy_NL » Wed May 18, 2011 10:05 am

I got that C-02 and M-02 combi, before my 5C50 and M-1600 I got now.

I must say that there's plenty of power in it, no doubt about that. The thing is that I didn't find the sounds fast enough. Sounds strange maybe, but I prefer the 70's Lux equipment myself.

On what speakers will you play with this M-02 beauty?

Here my old set with the shiney combo
Audio set by ShaggyNL, on Flickr
Shaggy_NL
Knobber

Postby skiroe » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Shaggy, I am using it with Klipsch Forte II's. Although for the last month I have been using a Decware Taboo el84 based at 6 wpc and have to say that the clarity and imaging and detail are astounding. I think that Decware products may be the most under appreciated in the hi fi world. I have had a pair of the Zen monos a few years back and a preamp by Decware as well. I have a pair of their MG 944 mtm speakers which also have a passive driver at the bottom.. http://www.decware.com/newsite/MG944.html The Fortes have a 15 " passive on the back. I will be hooking up the MG 944's soon when I return to home. There is no crossover in the MG944's like the Forte's except for a cap for the planar tweeter in the Decwares. I think something is lost when using low power amps with speakers that have a crossover. Although the Taboo is sounding so good that I have not hooked up the M-02 yet again. Very unusual for me as when I am home I leave my equipment on all day to listen . The only diff is I would leave the M-02 on to go run an errand but I dont leave tube equipment on when I leave the house. The Decware products are designed and implemented so well that you can leave them on all day and at 6 wpc the electric bill is not going to hit the roof.
skiroe
Knobber

Postby Shaggy_NL » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:22 am

Interesting.

Just be aware of the point, that if you leave a Tube equipment on, all day long, after half a year you can buy all new tubes. That will cost you a fortune, spread out over a couple of years. My dad was in that same position some years ago.

I'm not the type that like Tube amps. I think that the high frequencies aren't so fine & beautifull. And on the low end, you got a phase shift. That last is sooo bad for the overall soundstage and "rest", when listening to your music.
Shaggy_NL
Knobber

Postby skiroe » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:10 pm

Oh, I don't leave tube equipment on all day long and actually one can do that readily with Decware amps because they are designed so efficiently and the only waste would occur to to the fact its running in class A.. The Taboo may well run in class A1 if I recall. What I meant to say was I leave my solid state amps on all day as they are more capable and less expensive to keep on all day into the evening. I would have to say that for me S/S is most appreciated for slam and volume ability which for certain types of music likely has an edge on tube. Im not sure what tube amps you have listened to but I experience no problems as you describe with the Taboo. The highs are unsurpassed by anything I have had in my system and the mid range is holographic. The bass is not obviously as good as what S/S can do but for pure listening pleasure overall its hard to beat. As I said,, I have not put the M-02 back into service yet. I have been out of town though and currently using a class D or T Trends amp in my system here. Just sold a beauty--- A Yamaha CA 800 integrated with the class A switch option.
skiroe
Knobber

Postby Shaggy_NL » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:52 pm

The one I listen to the most was a Unison Research S6, some years ago. My dad owned that amp, but the wattage was too low and it did cost a fortune on tubes, as we talked about before.

I did heard some Tube amps at an audio store about 200 meters from my house. However, now I got a Luxman AS-9 (Power Amp Selector) from eBay, I would like to look for a Lux Tube power amp like a MQ3600 or a MQ80 if that last one is actually made as a 220V model in europe (or do somebody else know another great Lux tube amp?). I want to hear it myself now, with a Solid State Pre-amp. And with the Power Amp Selector, I can switch between two amps, without plugging it all over, everytime I want to change.
Last edited by Shaggy_NL on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaggy_NL
Knobber

Postby Whitese » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:44 am

I am also a new owner for a refurbished Luxman M-02...I will drive it through the preamp section of a Luxman L-100U and once in awhile through a Berning TF-10. Mine has modern speaker binding posts...now I can use my handsome speaker wire..:-)

Whitese
Knobber

Next

Return to Luxman components