luxman SQ 1220 amplifier question.

amps, preamps, filters, receivers etc

luxman SQ 1220 amplifier question.

Postby lrdrage » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi all, i have just got my hands on a mint condition SQ 1220, on the rear are two large holes with what look like valve inputs on them with "left" & "right" printed on the back plate above the holes, i havent had much time to look closely at this machine yet and it is packed away for when i open my audio store in a few months, the thing is i cant remember seing any speaker outputs on the back of this amp, maybe these two holes with the valve looking connections are the speaker outputs???

Any info would be appreciated, also if they are the speaker outputs then where do i get some connectors from?

Many thanks.
lrdrage

Re: luxman SQ 1220 amplifier question.

Postby Shaggy_NL » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:24 pm

I think those are connectors for the Step-up transformers for the Phono input. If you had a MC-cartridge in your tonearm in those days, you could buy two mono step-up transformers so the MC current was upped to MM-level. The amp took care of the MM signal and amplefied it to a "normal" level, like what was comming from your tuner.

I think it must be about the same as on this Lux CL-350.

DSC01040 by sven_hifi, on Flickr

If you want, I can look for the type of step-up transformers, but they are hard to find.
Shaggy_NL
Knobber

Postby Axel » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:16 pm

... very hard to find !

Never seen any anywhere, even in Japan... those for the later AD8000 (http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-AD8000.html) are abundant in comparison !
Axel
Founders

Postby Shaggy_NL » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 pm

I found the types for the Luxman CL-350 on a Price list from the Dutch importer (Audioscript) from 1 november 1980. That's quite late, but I asume that because it's a accessories, it was longer avalible then the equipment where it belongs to.

Step-up Transformer for the CL-350
6421-S (One needed per channel)

I know some one who have two of these, in the back of his CL-350.

On the internet, I also found the types 6421 and 6422 (without the letter S).
Shaggy_NL
Knobber

Postby lrdrage » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks guys, yep defo looks like step up transformer inputs, but something has come to light that has literally devastated me, I called the guy who I got this from, now when I bought this it came with an old dual ct12 tuner, on the back of the amp was a SME tonearm cable, I kept meaning to call the guy to tell him I'd got his turntable lead obviously from a 3009 or similar, anyways turned out he dumped the turntable cos he didn't think it was worth anything, it went to the dump:( along with other bits n bobs as he put it, god knows what that table was but I can tell you it was a top end jobby.

I've tried to find step up transformers but they do look very rare, I've located the speaker outputs on the back now:)

Many thanks
lrdrage

Postby Shaggy_NL » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:19 pm

lrdrage wrote:Thanks guys,

No problem. The pleasure was all mine.
[...] on the back of the amp was a SME tonearm cable, I kept meaning to call the guy to tell him I'd got his turntable lead obviously from a 3009 or similar, anyways turned out he dumped the turntable cos he didn't think it was worth anything, it went to the dump:( along with other bits n bobs as he put it, god knows what that table was but I can tell you it was a top end jobby.

:shock: Muh... What the *u** !!?
I've tried to find step up transformers but they do look very rare, I've located the speaker outputs on the back now:)

I try'd to find them myself also, but even not a single photo. Maybe I should try to put it on photo some time when I have the chance.
Shaggy_NL
Knobber

Postby Shaggy_NL » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:53 pm

I have a Luxman 6421S Step-up Transformator here in front of me. You normally need two of these for one MC-cartridge. I'm trying to find all the Lux amplifiers that could use these Step-up Transformators. If somebody has any information about these, it will be very welcome!

One would cost about Hfl. 98,- (Dutch guilder) according to the dutch price list from 1 november 1980. No amplifier was sold then, who was compatible with this transformer.

Luxman 6421S #1 by ShaggyNL, on Flickr

Luxman 6421S #2 by ShaggyNL, on Flickr

Luxman 6421S #3 by ShaggyNL, on Flickr
Shaggy_NL
Knobber

Postby Shaggy_NL » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:25 pm

I found more info in the manual from the CL-350. Maybe someone find this informative. I presume that this info will apply mostly also for the SQ 1220.

Lux 6400 series step-up transformer by ShaggyNL, on Flickr
Shaggy_NL
Knobber

Postby Axel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:02 pm

Axel
Founders

Return to Luxman components