Upgrade?

Upgrade?

Postby Drakkard » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Greetings from Cold Russia (damn, its really cold atm) =)
I've currently own Yamaha NS-500m, which I really like, but want to try something new. The most simple solution is to get NS-1000, but when I bought ns-500m, I had a chance to listen to them.. And there really isnt that much a difference to make me want to pay triple price for them. Actually, there was almost none. So Im looking for another options..

I dont have much expirience, just had a chance to listen Kef 105\2 and liked my NS-500m's more. Kef sounds to warm and soft for me.

Is there even speakers that really belong to a highter step than NS-1000? Yamaha NS-2000? How do they compare? Or next step is something like TAD - to heavy and expensive? =)
Speakers that draw my attension - Pioneer HPM-150, Diatone DS-1000(HR)\2000, Onkyo monitor 100r, Techics SB-7000\8000 (to big for my room actually.. But still intresting), technics sb-1000. But they seems to be in same league.
Also heard very good responce about Coral DX-ELEVEN, somebody likes them much more than Diatons 2000 and Technics 7000.
Sansui monsters like Sansui SP-X9000 looks intresting, but didnt heard much about how they sound.. Anybody had an expirience?

Anyway, just want to get more info about speakers that fall in this league that I mention, or slightly highter.
Oh, and just a note - I want good deep bass =) Actually the only thing I dont like in NS-500 atm is that they dont go under 40hz =)

p.s. damn, just realized it must go to the Vintage Audio ‹ The Vaults ‹ Speakers :roll: Sorry
Drakkard
Knobber

Re: Upgrade?

Postby Drakkard » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:11 am

Alright, just as an update, I bought Pioneer S-1000twinA. Really love them :) That was some sort of an gamble since there almost no info about them on the internet, and their construction differs a lot from my old Yamas.
Bass is really powerful and controlled, overall presentation is more musical, while it still remains very detailed. Only thing I liked in Yamas more was that crystal sparkling at high frequencies, it sounds really cool sometimes. Thats beryllium I guess =)
Drakkard
Knobber

Postby Axel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:09 pm

I think I have the lit' for the S-1000 Twin.
They will surely be less "sparkly" at the top than NS-1000Ms : more linear, neutral.

You could do a lot worse than S-1000 Twins anyway.
And in any high-end Pioneer speaker, there is a little bit of TAD :)
Axel
Founders

Postby JwFabrie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:56 pm

Great speakers surely! I wonder how they would compare to, say, the eXclusive S5 twins..
JwFabrie
Knobber

Postby NEMOaudio » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:30 pm

Here are some info about your speakers

2 way 3 speaker bass reflex
For low frequency - 2 x 20 cm driver (alginate composite cone) and Alnico magnet
For high frequency - 3 cm dome (ceramic graphite diaphragm) with "wavefront control technology"
Impedance 6 ohm
Frequency response 28Hz - 40000 Hz
SPL 91.5 dB/W/m
Maximum power 180 W
Crossover frequency 1800 Hz

See also my collection at
http://1001hifi.weebly.com/
NEMOaudio

Postby Drakkard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:11 am

I think I have the lit' for the S-1000 Twin.

Im very tempted to take a look at any info about them some day... =) I have user manual with response graph, its on Japan through. I can scan it if anybody interested, but Im pretty sure I already saw those scans somewhere.
Do you have any info about woofers, are they the same ones one used in S-99twin and S-5000twin? They all looks very similar

And in any high-end Pioneer speaker, there is a little bit of TAD :)

Yeah, I can feel that :mrgreen:

Great speakers surely! I wonder how they would compare to, say, the eXclusive S5 twins..

Yes, thats interesting.. My guess is that S5 have highs more like Yamas (as the tweeter is also beryllium) and even more fundamental lows. S5 is a very rare eXclusive speakers, I saw only 1 or 2 auctions on them in Japan, and nowhere else.
S-1000twinA vs S-5000twin looks even more interesting, as they looks almost the same, except for extended frequency range on s-1000, and retail price of s-5000 was close to the S5.

NEMOaudio wrote:See also my collection athttp://1001hifi.weebly.com/

Thanks, will take a look =)
Drakkard
Knobber

Return to Speakers