Yamaha NS-1000M...My Favorite!

Yamaha NS-1000M...My Favorite!

Postby Socal Sam » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:10 am

Here are photos of my NS-1000M "Wall of Sound". I have five pairs total. The NS-1000M is my favorite speaker because of the Beryllium domes, which IMO is the best audio reflector. Be is light, strong, and rigid plus the material's natural resonance frequency is in the ultra-sonic range so there is no cascade effect into the audible range.

Mac set no longer in my collection but the MC275V did sound superb with the Yamaha's.

Left bank.

Right bank.

When the "Wall of Sound" is operational, each speaker is driven with a dedicated channel. The amps are four Yamaha PC2002M's which are the pro version of the M-2.

Socal Sam

Re: Yamaha NS-1000M...My Favorite!

Postby Stoffie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:50 am

Damn, talk about NS-1000 excess...very very nice :shock:

Every try them with a B-2 or B-1 ?

Missing a couple of pairs of NS-1000X and NS-2000's though :P
Stoffie
Knobber

Postby Socal Sam » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 pm

I have the VFET B-2 and played them with the NS-1000M. This is a very nice sounding combo and allows the VFET's unique sound to come through. The B-1UC is a monster and has been on my wish list for some time. They are rare so I'll have to make do with the B-2. Same goes for the NS-1000X and NS-2000.
Socal Sam

Postby Stoffie » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Never say never.

I found my ESPRIT monoblocks for silly money, while all examples (they almost never pop up) I had/have seen for sale, went for astronomical prices. So who knows...
Stoffie
Knobber

Postby 9WEST » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Forgive me for being a bit critical...

A speaker manufacturer designs a speaker with the intent to sell two for stereo (or five for surround).
Within a speaker is already a problem with phase, if it is more than one-way (other than full range), with speaker alignment or filter parameters.
How can any amount of speakers next to each other (the same brand/type or not) not cause even more phase problems?

Unless you use some sort of delay (from inside to outside - like Quad esl-63's) there WILL be a problem with phase.

If I would have that many speakers, I would put them as close toghether as possible, in a cluster like. And, I would have to have a very large room and sit a great distance away from the speakers.

PS: My vintage stereo speaker sets are one pair of Pioneer HPM-100 (high watt version), a set of Sony SS-7300's and a set of Sony SS-G1 series III, used in different rooms, not together ;-) My studio speakers are two of the 125kg a piece B&W Nautilus 800.
9WEST

Postby Socal Sam » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:20 am

9WEST wrote:Forgive me for being a bit critical...

A speaker manufacturer designs a speaker with the intent to sell two for stereo (or five for surround).
Within a speaker is already a problem with phase, if it is more than one-way (other than full range), with speaker alignment or filter parameters.
How can any amount of speakers next to each other (the same brand/type or not) not cause even more phase problems?

Unless you use some sort of delay (from inside to outside - like Quad esl-63's) there WILL be a problem with phase.

If I would have that many speakers, I would put them as close toghether as possible, in a cluster like. And, I would have to have a very large room and sit a great distance away from the speakers.

PS: My vintage stereo speaker sets are one pair of Pioneer HPM-100 (high watt version), a set of Sony SS-7300's and a set of Sony SS-G1 series III, used in different rooms, not together ;-) My studio speakers are two of the 125kg a piece B&W Nautilus 800.

Yeah, a bit critical since I know about all the issues you mention plus you don't know my opinion about imaging. First off, I listen the majority of times to a single pair of NS-1000M's with MC60's or Kenwood L-09M's. I consider a single pair to be the best for imaging. The Wall of Sound is for when I want to blow the roof off and with nearly a 1000 watts per channel, mission accomplished!

Specifically to your post, true, phase error is the enemy of inner detail. True, my room is too small to take advantage of such a system and so you can correctly say this is overkill and it is. True, a delay would work but I have the speakers arrayed in an arc so the each is equal distant to the ideal stereo position. Unfortunately, I can't separate the two stacks sufficiently to eliminate cross cancellation and that is why I'm using pillows.

In defense of my system, the NS-1000M is an ideal design for stacking. There is no port or passive radiator or stupid driver arrays (which itself is a source of phase error). And Be is an ideal reflector material because it is light, strong, and the natural resonance frequency is so far into ultra-sonic that cascading is a non-issue. You will be familiar with cascading in your HPM-100's and you can hear it as brightness caused by the paper tweeter's poor control of the high band.
Socal Sam

Return to Speakers