Kenwood L-07M and L-09M

Kenwood L-07M and L-09M

Postby Socal Sam » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:50 am

Hello all! Check out my Kenwood L-09M's and L-07M's. The L-09M is a technical tour de force. It has dual transformers for a single channel! One drives the positive rail and the other the negative rail. Both use the same Sanken output transistors. The L-09M is my favorite solid state amp.

Socal Sam

Re: Kenwood L-07M and L-09M

Postby Axel » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:54 am

Hello Sam !

Is that a sextet of NS-1000Ms I see behind your tower of 09Ms and 07Ms ?!

You wouldn't have found a dedicated catalog for the 09Ms, would you ?
I've been scouting Japan high and low for the past four years and wound up with nothing :(
I have beautiful 07C/M /CII /MII catalogs waiting to be shipped but the 09M remains abosulte Invisibilia...

From what I have gathered, it seems it may have been the last high-end project launched while the LX series prototypes were getting ready but only to be somewhat rapidly shelved alongwith the unproduced LXs.
There are mentions of them here and there as sidekicks to 07MII ads or catalogs, but nothing dedicated, let alone detailed !

Is the service manual all I can hope for ?
Axel
Founders

Postby thedevilin » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:17 am

the kenwoods
wow, just wow.

wow.

http://www.VintageAudioArchive.com
^^ i assume you check here axel, this guy does have a good collection of rare original adverts/reviews for sale (including Kenwoods L-07MII), got a advert on celestion's rare UL range from him and was impressed by service and will probably go back for a review of the pioneer SX 1980, he trades on ebay as 'effjgm' and he does do deals.

amusingly his wife as obviously got her claws into him as he uses Bose lifestyle speakers (rofl). imagine having all those beautiful bits of kit staring up at you from the reviews/adverts and having to listen to those rubbish efforts. sometimes i feel sorry for my fellow man.
thedevilin
Knobber

Postby Socal Sam » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 am

Hello Axel: Nice to be here! I've always been an admirer of TVK and have used your site as a resource many times.

Sadly, I do not have any literature on the L-09M. I don't even have the service manual although I think I can get it from my tech if I ask nicely enough. Interestingly, the owner's manual (which I have along with an original sales slip for $600 and change) isn't a glossy item like Yamaha's and in fact, it is a little amateurish. Perhaps this reflects low production numbers for the L-09M.
Socal Sam

Postby Axel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:25 am

Thank you Sam !

For the 09M... your owner's manual fits the general scheme I could see for others "semi-released" or "released after shelving" components of other brands.
I think it was mainly an export-only item, too, which would mean it was up to the local distributors to get rid of the (little) stocks. (?)

Are the 09Ms based on the 07MIIs with high-bandwidth/slew-rate/rise-time/hi-fTs or are they completely apart ?
Axel
Founders

Postby Socal Sam » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:50 pm

Here in So Cal, the L-09M was sold in the second tier stores and they were heavily discounted. The receipt I have shows a sales price around $650, which for new 300 wpc monoblocks was good value. It is possible these amps didn't fit the market and were not an easy sell.

The L-07M and L-09M share some parts like the Sanken output transistors. Both are fast and share the same family sound. However, the similarity ends there. The L-09M is unusual for having a pair of transformers per single channel. One transformer controls the positive rail and the other the negative rail. I suppose this is for superior control of signal swings but whatever the reason, this is overkill. The L-07M is more conventional with a single transformer. Interestingly, the L-09M has 106 Volt rails which EXCEEDS Japanese line voltage. The main filters are rated 125V, which is the highest I have seen for solid state amps.
Socal Sam

Postby Axel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:55 pm

sold in the second tier stores and they were heavily discounted
That sounds like Kenwood US didn't know what to do with them...

the L-09M has 106 Volt rails which EXCEEDS Japanese line voltage
... so export-only indeed.
Axel
Founders

Postby NEMOaudio » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:12 am

If you are still interested, I have the Service Manual (.pdf) for the KENWOOD L-09M.
NEMOaudio

Postby Socal Sam » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:04 pm

One more pair for the stacks! I bought these amps locally. They were advertised as non-working so the price was peanuts. The seller had the other L-09M which was not advertised so I bought that one too. Nice to have them in pairs. Anyways, ignore the "Broken" sticky. The output fuses were blown. After a quick DC offset adjustment, the amp works fine. The power switch is busted but no worries, I installed an exact ALPS replacement from a parts L-07C.

I'm a little late catching NEMOaudio's kind offer for the service manual. I need to adjust the Bias current on all my L-09M's. Hopefully!!!

BTW, the Philips 5781 was part of the deal. It comes out of protection but it needs a restoration. One channel is out.

Socal Sam

Postby Socal Sam » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:21 pm

NEMOaudio wrote:If you are still interested, I have the Service Manual (.pdf) for the KENWOOD L-09M.

My thanks to NEMOaudio for the L-09M service manual! :mrgreen: The scan is excellent.
Socal Sam

Return to Components