Kyocera PL-901

Kyocera PL-901

Postby lukas » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:47 pm

I have seen the nice new posting of the very elusive Kyocera PL-901 and would like to make a minor correction to the description in the text: The PL-901 does have pitch controls, for each speed there is one and they can be seen in the second pictureof the TVK photos, the small cylinders behind the speed control knobs are the potentiometers for fine tuning the platter speed.
Additional remark: the PL-901 uses the same motor as can be found in theMicro Seiki SX-111 and some other top notch Micro Seiki belt driven turntables, it is a Matsushita made brushless DC motor.
Motor.jpg

The PL-901 uses a double insulation system, i.e. it is a subchassis player and the subchassis rests on a quite heavy base. The base itself is isolated from the ground by a spring suspension. In the picture you can see the heavy spring for carrying the base and behind the smaller pylone, which carries the (in this case removed) subchassis:
suspension.jpg

Not a mystery, the Kyocera was made by Micro Seiki, only the platter and the bearing were manufactured by Kyocera:

Typeplate.jpg

Best wishes
Lukas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by lukas on Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
lukas
Knobber

Re: Kyocera PL-901

Postby Axel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks for these images !!

Yes, the pitch controls : I think I was out to lunch for that bit as it was on the old TVK page :)

The motor is the same as the one used in the PD555 and other Micros, and the japanese T-Tag evidently proves what is obvious :)
Do you have other images ? Like many many many other images ;-)
Axel
Founders

Re: Kyocera PL-901

Postby lukas » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi Axel,
yes I have some more pictures but they are of quite poor quality. Besides, uploading here is a bit cumbersome since only 3 pictures with max. 256 kb can be attached. If you want more pictures, I could send them to you directly.

Best wishes
Lukas
lukas
Knobber

Return to Analogue sources